Friday, October 20, 2006

Movie: The Departed


Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson and Mark Wahlberg, and the rumor that said that this movie is gonna be
Hollywood’s version of Hong Kong’s Infernal Affairs, The Departed was definitely on my list of a must-see. I really loved the trilogy (Infernal Affairs I, II, III starring Andy Lau and Tony Leung); it was the coolest movie ever! As for the big name of Martin Scorsese, can’t pretend that I can distinguish his works from others, so sorry to all of you movie buffs out there ;-p

Oh, okay, somebody had just whispered to my ear, “Madagascar… Shark Tale (ahhh, of course, sharks playing mafia movie, figures!)… Age of Innocence (that was his too?!? Wow!!)…Gangs of New York… The Aviator… (Hmm, what's this I spot with my little eye? A lot of Leo!)…”

From rottentomatoes: "The Departed" is set in South Boston where the state police is waging war on organized crime. Young undercover cop Billy Costigan (DiCaprio) is assigned to infiltrate the mob run by gangland chief Costello (Nicholson). While Billy is quickly gaining Costello's confidence, Colin Sullivan (Damon), a hardened young criminal who has infiltrated the police department as an informer for Costello, is rising to a position of power in the Special Investigation Unit.


There are only two people in the Massachusetts State Police who know the newest addition to Costello's crew is an undercover cop: Captain Queenan (Sheen) and Sergeant Dignam (Wahlberg). Billy didn’t even tell Madolyn (Farmiga), his psychiatrist who specializes in dealing with troubled people on both sides of the law, about his double lives.

I raised my hat—if I wore a hat, that is—to Jack Nicholson and Leonardo DiCaprio in this movie. They were great. Damon, on the other hand, oddly didn’t leave too deep of an impression. But to tell you the truth, I like the Hong Kong’s version better. Though Scorsese himself said that this movie was not a remake, I couldn’t help comparing the two: The Departed only got a B for me, while Infernal Affairs triumphed with an A+ (the twisted storyline, the gripping frames, Andy Lau was superb, Tony Leung was breathtaking!).

But watching this movie in the theatre definitely has its own merits: the loud gasps of women who apparently, I’m sure, haven’t seen the Hong Kong’s version; me nodding and smiling the superior I-know-something-you-don’t smile through out the ending, hehehe; and of course LEO on the big screen!!!


Note (not so related but couldn’t resist to write it): I’m a new fan of Leo, ever since Catch Me If You Can with Tom Hanks. He’s developing very well don’t you think? ;-p I remember the old me who smirked on every sight of him—I was an acute cynic when it came to the typical popular pretty boy during, I think, the Romeo and Juliet and The Titanic period. Hahaha. And look at me now, a collector of Leo’s movies! *wide grin*.


Casts: Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, Vera Farmiga, Ray Winstone, Alec Baldwin Director: Martin Scorsese Screenwriter: William Monahan Source Writer: Alan Mak, Felix Chong

More: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/departed/about.php

No comments: