Monday, May 19, 2008

Movie: My Father

I won't deny that Daniel Henney was one of the factors why I watched this movie. Guess I kept hoping that he will show us a "real" heart piercing acting one of these days. Alas, unfortunately, he seems to be saving the best for later...

Oh, the movie wasn't all that bad. It was a worth four star movie for me in fact, but sadly I have to admit that the stars are all awed to Kim Young-cheol who played as Daniel's father. I will forever remember the scene when he said, "Bom i wasso = Spring has came".


It was like only the 15 minutes first part of the movie and he already made my eyes teary. I swear, you should watch closely his expression when saying these words, it is as if he's picturing his all life in that split seconds...


There were some Henney's acting that also became my favorites, one of them was the scene when he was crying for a painful loss in his American truck. Kind of remind me of my own when I loss my dear grandma.


Anyway, the story of this 2007 released movie was about James Parker (Henney) who went to Korea as an US Army soldier to find his birth parents. James was adopted by an American family ever since he was 6 years old. Even though he have a happy life with the Parkers, James never felt complete without knowing his true roots.


But the father and son rendezvous was not as pretty as the spring cause he soon found out that his father was a convicted murderer waiting for his death penalty.

As I said before, the movie wasn't all that bad, especially when the story was inspired from a true story of Aaron Carter. The story line and tempo were also well kept in my opinion, making us willingly to go with the flow. Surprised (blurred) facts and dubious-no blunt-ending were a good choice, I think, even though I was quiet puzzled for some times. But maybe I have learnt to let go and accept that things sometimes were not meant to be as clear as we wanted...


One thing that make me laugh was, the fact that Henney played basketball ALSO in this piece. Not that I mind, of course, watching him play the game will NEVER make me mind, it just that... come on! HAHAHAHAHA... I just hope that in the future, people won't feel the pressure of making special scripts for him with basketball scenes.


Casts: Daniel Henney, Kim Young-cheol Release Date: 2007/09 Language: Korean


Rate:

No comments: