Sunday, December 28, 2008

Movie: Jodhaa Akbar

It has certainly been a while since I enjoyed a Bollywood movie. How I realized that I missed listening to those Hindis, definitely a refreshing melody after all those Japanese and English. Anyway, the movie that helped me refresh my old hobby is Jodhaa Akbar, a UTV Motion Pictures' production. I have watched it through its 2008 released collector DVDs--bought the original, got the bonus postcards *BIG grin*

Must admit, the desperate measure was taken because my curiosity has had the best of me. Why? Well, being a big fan of epic pictures, it was kind of easy to get me hooked. Though the movie took an interesting era (16th century, when the dispute between cultures and religions had torn Hindustan into several countries) for the story background, it was really easy to see that the movie was only keen to focus on the love story between its two main characters: Jalaludin Mohammad Akbar, the Mughal Emperor and Jodhaa, the Rajput Princess.

Let me just go straight to the casts: Hrithik Roshan as the Emperor and Aishwarya Rai as the Princess. Both of course are beautiful people with deep impact set of eyes. Physically, yes, it will be hard to argue that Hrithik did not have the handsome features of an emperor and Aish did not have the elegance of a princess (just look at the pictures I enclosed in this entry). Yet, I felt there were somewhats lacking on them both, and the characters were sadly turn into, as the assistant producer said herself, mere cliches. Most of the time, I felt not convinced by Hritik's imperial decrees or auras; he was more like a prince than an AKBAR ruler for me--though even until now, he continues to amazed me on how a real living human being has so tiny waist in a big broad shoulder and chest of a body; like those anime heroes.

The storyline was also a bit dissapointment for me. The makers were focusing too much on colors, details of armors and jewelries--though I have to admit, the colors and clothes detail was pleaseant to the eyes, that somehow they edited good scenes that I thought will help characters development; especially the growing feelings between the two main. Not only after I watched the deleted scenes that I found a little peace of mind.

Oh but I think the biggest let down for me was the lack of more history details, being a history otaku like myself. I just wish they had done more to the dispute of Hindus and Muslims that even now still one of the issues in those part of the world. The big question that squirming inside my head was, was it really that easy for Jalaluddin who was a muslim to marry Jodhaa the Hindu princess? Religion and culture rules wise, I meant. The Hindus and Muslims dispute has really caputured my interest ever since I read an antropological article about violence subjectivity in Northern India.


Anyway, also as a Bollywood fan, I really salut Hrithik for his longing for love eyes when he first properly looked at Jodhaa when she was praying and when watching her every moves, when she was doing the Hindu rituals of a wife. It was really beautiful--really get Mujshe Dosti Karoge's feelings again, tehehehehe. Oww, and of course the scene when Jalal practice sword fighting with bare chest and Jodhaa was watching him discreetly--at least, she thought she was discreet--was a good scene that brought a smile. See, I am still smiling... (LOL)

Anddddd... just LOVEEE the songs, especially "Jashn-E-Bahaaraa"--even now, I am still listening to it over and over again, it kind of remind me of a Chinese classic kungfu movie's soundtrack, actually. If have the time, try to browse on it on youtube. I found it and the quality was not that bad...

Oh, for those who look for Hrithik's dynamic dances and Aish's elegant dances will have to kept their expectations cause the movie did not have a lot of them.

This movie got some awards such as
'AUDIENCE AWARD' - BEST FOREIGN FILM
from 32nd Sao Paulo International Film

‘BEST FILM GRAND PRIX’
‘BEST ACTOR’ – HRITHIK ROSHAN
from Film Festival of Muslim Cinema Golden Minbar in Kazan, Russia.

www.jodhaaakbar.com
Rate:

No comments: